D'nah Reads-A-Lot

A collection of ramblings on books I've just read, and more rarely, movies I've watched. I sometimes link to titles in Amazon, for your convience. This does NOT mean that I suggest buying them from Amazon. Please, support your independent booksellers.

Name:
Location: Lakewood, Washington, United States

Friday, June 27, 2008

The Loneliness of Single Parenting

(So, this has nothing to do with what I've read. But then again, I haven't posted at all in over 2 1/2 years, so I don't expect anyone will complain about the topic change. In fact it's doubtful anyone is still watching this blog, but I need somewhere to post this.)

So, I'm dating a single mom. We only get to see each other once a week, but we talk on the phone for a couple of hours just about every night. But not tonight. I don't know what made me think of this, surely nothing Luscious has said, but it occurred to me what a lonely job single parenting must be. I know I wasn't cut out for single parenting (perhaps not even for joint parenting), and I knew it was hard. I thought about the difficulties, the exhaustion, the expectations, the blessings and simplifications.. but it never before occurred to me how lonely it can be. To be trapped with a crazy person (All 4-year-olds are crazy, it's just in their nature.) that you love, and feed, bath and chastise. To have no fellow adults looking in and saying, "Yep, that really happened" "Are they driving you crazy? Me too." "Can you believe what just happened?" or even (Who would imagine I would write such a thing?) "No, they really deserved to be shouted out with that action." I just get this tiny picture of things over the phone, as they get ready for bed... When Luscious and I don't get to talk, I miss her terribly.. but I'm not lonely. I wonder how her world is....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home