D'nah Reads-A-Lot

A collection of ramblings on books I've just read, and more rarely, movies I've watched. I sometimes link to titles in Amazon, for your convience. This does NOT mean that I suggest buying them from Amazon. Please, support your independent booksellers.

Name:
Location: Lakewood, Washington, United States

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Puppet Masters - Robert Heinlein

Well, the old and familiar reading spree continues. This one does have quite a bit of "Bob's" sexism present... though most of it is in the "pretty good, for a girl" manner.

Wednesday and Thursday I also watched the movie Titan A.E. Both the movie and Puppet Masters deal with humanity fighting for survival against non-terristial races. Most often, in movies and books with this theme, humans win because the are more mentally flexible than the enemy. Actually, this might be only a Western hemisphere trait, as I've also seen this theme (x wins by being more flexible) in stories where the "bad guys" are Asian or communists or just about any other non-American.

Two quotes from this book, the first one relates specifically to my news boycott:
"My [...] mind has never been able to interest itself in the daily news; for my
taste this dinning into the ears and eyes of trivia somewhere over the horizon
is the bane of so-called civilization and the death of serious thinking."

For me, it is largely an emotional defense, I get depressed and have an overblown sense of personal responsibility, when I expose myself to media. But this dinning of the ears is a sentiment I also agree with.

My other quote from this book is:

"The ratio of damn fools to villains is high."

... Thanks "Bob"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home